Monday, June 21, 2010

The Last pix of the day






Greetings from the driver and cook.  (Jim)
The alaska hwy is everything I thought it would be and more and less. It is a lot dustier than I imagined. Make sure that you have new tires when you start out; the varied roads are hard on tires. Camping isn't at all what I thought. The provincial parks are like state parks at home. But the private campgrounds are just big dusty parking lots that look like a truck plaza on the interstates. Check out the posted photo. Distances are or seem to be stretched out, 300 miles seem like 500 miles. but the days and the miles fly by. The scenery is almost too much to take in. We are the smallest "RV" on the road. Everyone has a big diesel pickup with a 5th wheel, or a huge pusher motor home about the size of a greyhound bus. but we have more fun. Time for a scotch and try to sleep. The sun sets today about 12:30 am, and rises at 12:35 am.

2 comments:

  1. Happy daddy's day dad - by the time we got in an unpacked & watered the garden it was late - but by the time of your post it looks like you were up and I should have called! You crazy kids you!!

    I love you and love that you are on this amazing trip and gave us the travel bug when we were kids! I hope our kids have half the urge to travel as I do and do twice as much :-)

    We met a couple from Delano this weekend at the campsite we were at (Leech Lake) who is retiring next year and was trying out their new pickup camper - the type that sits in the bed of a pickup truck - as they are doing your exact trip next year and they were glad to hear you were doing it lite as all they have heard about is the big RVs heading up there as well...

    LOVE the photos - and love YOU both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I take a weekend off and a veritable plethora of blog posts.

    ReplyDelete